Friday, September 10, 2010

Knitting: not just for old people.

While I often feel I’m an old soul, I have fully embraced my desire to knit. I’m ready to receive the “oohs” and “ahhs” and the “YOU made THAT?”

Initially taught by my Italian grandmother (Nonna) when I was younger, I couldn’t purl to save my life and shoved the needles through the tight stitches with such force it’s a wonder I never punctured my hand. I put the needles down for many years, and have recently picked them up again.DSC04537

I’m great at knitting scarves; they’re straight and simple. I upgraded to cable knitting, not as hard as I thought and very impressive.

Last year I graduated to circular needle knitting and created my Latte Love coffee sleeves.

I was told by a fellow crafty friend about the site Ravelry, signed up and started searching patterns for beginners. It was about time I tried something new.

For some reason, I was drawn to slippers. I hate socks, and am often barefoot, which is fine in my apartment, but when I go home to my parents, or visit Nonna, I’m thrown some slippers brought back from Italy before I was born…not always stylish.

I found a pattern, took a deep breath and got to work.

Who knew they’d actually be pretty easy? and turn out fantastic?!

DSC04504

The pattern is from French Press Knits, and she sells the pattern on both Ravelry and Etsy. So now that I have some knitting confidence, I’m going all out.

I picked up a knitting book over the weekend when I was at home for a wedding- More Last Minute Knitted Gifts and I can’t wait to get working. I also picked out another, intended to go on my Christmas wish list; however since there was only one copy, my Mom swiftly grabbed it off the shelf and stated it would be wrapped for Christmas.

Pints and Purls encourages you to knit their portable projects whilst drinking beer in a pub with your best knitting/drinking friends. I browsed through the book before I had to hand it over for Christmas wrapping and I’m looking forward to the Drunken Sweater.

Since I’ll get the book for Christmas, I’ll have some time to answer this question…

Do I teach my drinking buddies to knit? or my knitting pals to knock one back?

Ciao for now,

1 comments:

Teach them both!!! Loving those slippers! They look so warm and comfy :) Beautiful job!
hugs, margie

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog