Monday, February 28, 2011

CASE: collaged word background

I mentioned in my previous post that I had a custom order for birthday cards, 2 feminine, and 4 masculine.  I’ve always struggled with masculine cards; I want to add flowers, or ribbon or rhinestones to everything.  The simple designs I do like for masculine cards…I tend to repeat them. I was searching around the blogosphere for some inspiration, and stumbled upon My Paper Secret.  Cristina has some amazing projects! I really love her style.  I found this post about creating a card with sentiments from several sets.  I thought this would make a really great masculine card, and used a colour challenge of green (SU Pear Pizzaz), red (SU Cherry Cobbler) and black (SU basic black) that I also found on her blog.

 

I pulled out all my birthday stamps and set to work on some scrap paper.  It was a disaster.  I also ran out of room, knowing that I wanted to put an image of a gift on the left side.  After numerous tries, I whittled the number of stamps down to just two, and decided to repeat them.

I masked the gift (that’s also paper pieced) and started the Happy Birthday! across the page.  Both sentiment stamps are SU, but from two different sets (On your birthday and Birthday Whimsy).  I used a LOT of scrap paper before I was happy with it enough to put on the card. 

I think this could be a really great technique and I’ll be looking to see if it works better with some of my other stamps.  All these stamps are also wood stamps…I can see this really working with clear mount stamps…which is why I love clear mount stamps!

I found some black eyelets and used them in the top right hand corner for balance.  I can’t use flowers on a masculine card, so I usually grab some brads or eyelets.

Try a collaged word background, I’d love to see what you come up with!

Happy Monday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog