Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Operation Fill the Freezer- Chicken Pot Pie

Food week continues here at A Paper Buffet and today’s chicken feature is Chicken Pot Pie.  I emailed my dad for his recipe, and while I was making it, I realized, it’s on the back of the soup label! I guess that means I won’t ever have to worry about losing the recipe!  (recipe is adapted from Campbells Chicken pot pie recipe)

You’ll need:

  • 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into pieces
  • 4 cups cooked vegetables (you can used canned or frozen)
  • 2 cans cream of potato soup
  • 1 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • thyme to taste
  • refrigerated biscuits
  • foil freezer  pans

You could easily make pie crust, or purchase small pie shells, but I couldn’t find anything bigger than appetizer pie shells, that weren’t full pie size, so I went the biscuit route.

Bake your chicken and when cool, cut into cubes.  I baked my chicken with some Herb du Provence, it’s one of my favourite spice blends.  Since it already includes thyme, I knew the flavours would work well together.

I had some fresh celery and carrots to use up, so I chopped those and combined with half of a chopped onion (also known as the cooking-holy-trinity) and sauteed until just tender.  I didn’t want to cook them completely since they will cook in the pie before serving and I didn’t want them to be mushy.

I found some peas in the freezer, so I added those at the last minute, just to make sure all the flavours were combined, but that the peas weren’t cooked completely.  If there’s one thing I hate, it’s mushy peas!

I love how colouful this combination is!

 

In a bowl, combine your cream of potato soup, milk, thyme, salt and pepper. I whisked it until combined and creamy.  Add in your veggies, and cooked chicken and stir to coat.

Panic because your bowl in not big enough.

Divide into foil freezer pans, I had enough for 5* pans (see note below).

 

 

Open your can of refrigerated biscuits (have you ever heard the joke about the blonde sitting in the car outside the grocery store, who gets shot in the head?  If not, let me know, and I’ll tell you…) and place the biscuits on top of the pies.  I decided each pan would be two servings, so I used two biscuits for each pan.

 

 

Put the lids on each pan, and mark with date and label.

 

Panic because you overfilled the pans and the soup is oozing out of the lid.

 

*Write yourself a note to use 6 pans next time to allow for expansion of liquids.

 

Keep one out because they look so good and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until biscuits are baked and mixture is hot throughout.

 

I plan to thaw these the night before I want to cook them so the cooking time is reduced and I don’t burn the biscuits before the veg/chicken mixture is warmed through.

 

Enjoy!

 

Just a few more recipes to go as Food Week continues!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog