Friday, September 23, 2011

Wrapping up Food week- Mixed Berry Crisp

Food week is coming to an end, and I’ve saved one of my favourite fall desserts for last.  I found a bag of mixed berries next to a bag of oatmeal in my freezer and thought these two could be great together.  I also love a traditional apple crisp, but I thought the berries would be a nice change.  Fruit crisp is a pretty straight forward recipe and there are lot so variations, so feel free to browse the web.  I threw this one together on my own.

You’ll need:

  • Oatmeal- quick cook oats
  • mixed berries- frozen or fresh
  • cinnamon
  • sugar
  • cornstarch
  • flour
  • butter

In an effort to make room in my freezer for all the other meals, I had placed the berries in the fridge.  I liked this better since I could drain the excess juice so the crisp wouldn’t be runny.  The bag wasn’t full, but I ended up with about 2.5  cups of berries. All the other measurements were based on the amount of berries.  I added 1/4 cup of white sugar and 1 tbsp of cornstarch to the berries and mixed.

Portion out the berries in little meat pie tins.

 

In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup of flour.  I also added the 1/4 cup of sugar mixed with cinnamon left over from my Cinnamon Swirl Bread and 2 tbsp of butter.  Mix together until combined.  I started off using the fork, but it worked better mixing by hand.

 

Pour the mixture over top of the berries.

 

Cover with plastic wrap and foil, and freeze.  When you’re ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and foil, bake at 350F until heated through.

 

Or, if you’re like me … keep one out to eat right away.  Once it’s heated, I put it under the broiler to caramelize some of the sugar and get a really crunchy topping.

 

Also, if you feel like you’re catching a cold, serve with Bourbon Vanilla ice cream, and cuddle up under a blanket to watch Only You.

Robert Downey Jr. in Italy makes everyone feel better.

 

I hope you enjoyed Food week here at A Paper Buffet!

Happy Friday!

1 comments:

Tasty!

I'll be paying more attention to your blog from now on Steph!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog