Monday, February 2, 2009

Dalla Cucina: Butternut Squash and Zucchini Soup


I love to cook and often make up recipes; I thought I would share one with you for my (somewhat famous) butternut squash and zucchini soup. I made this one up after roasting some veggies, and not really wanting to reheat them the next day...I thought they would make a really good soup. It was my first attempt at making my own creamy vegetable soup, (I usually cheat and buy them) but this one I make at least once a week. You can use this as a base recipe and add other veggies, or spices that you like. It's super simple!

So here goes:




1 large/medium butternut squash
- I cheat and buy it in the grocery store already cubed and peeled
2-3 large zucchini- you can add more or less depending which flavour you like to stand out more, I like the squash to be the main base of the soup, and the zucchini adds a nice little kick
1 large onion, peeled and chopped in quarters

Toss with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Remember that zucchini gets spicy when you cook it, so even though I LOVE pepper, I don't add much at this point. You can always add more at the table.

Roast for about 40 minutes at 375.

*You may skip this step, but I find roasting the veggies gives the soup better flavour.

Once the veggies are roasted,

Finely chop 1/2 onion and saute in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in soup pot.
Add roasted veggies,
Cover with chicken stock- homemade or bought. If you like a thicker soup, just cover the veggies with the stock; if you like the soup at bit more like minestrone, add some more stock. This also tastes great with turkey stock.
*optional- add a chicken or veggie bouillon cube

Boil for about 5 minutes, just to make sure all the veggies are nice and tender.
Blend with an immersion blender, or transfer to a traditional blender.

You can add some milk (or cream) to the soup before you serve it, but I just add a little bit of sour cream right before I eat the soup.

This soup freezes really well, and this recipe makes about 10 servings.

Some people have asked if I put garlic in the soup, and I don't- only because I just love it the way it is, but you can add anything you wish. It's a great way to get a full serving of veggies, and great on a cold winter day.

Buon Appetito!

Ciao for now,
S.

3 comments:

That sounds yummy! I'll have to try this! Thanks! -Tea

That was absolutely delicious. It's the first soup I've ever tried to make and it turned out beautifully. Thank you for the recipe!!

Recent undefined:=-

That sounds yummy! I'll have to try this! Thanks! -Tea

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog