Friday, January 16, 2009

Foto Friday #1


Photography is something I've always been interested in. I've been known to fill up memory cards in under a day. My dad used to develop photographs in our basement, and all our baby pictures were taken by him. I thought that I would share some photos from my travels in what I'll call 'Foto Fridays'...that way at least one day of the week will have a guaranteed entry :).

It's been mighty cold here in Ontario, a cold snap is moving though from Siberia (no joke) and it's been -30 degrees Celsius (-22 F for my American neighbors) for the past few days and it has me thinking back to my recent month-long trip to Europe this past September.

We experienced beautiful, but hot hot hot! weather the two weeks we spent in Italy. One stop of our trip was the Amalfi Coast on the western side of Italy, just south of Naples. We stayed in a beautiful little sea-side town named Minori.


It was simply stunning. You were never more than a 5 minute walk to the beach. At night, all the town residents come out to the waterfront, there's a soccer field beside the beach; the women walk and chat; the men mend their fishing nets. It's incredible.

The Amalfi coast is famous for ceramics, lemons and of course, lemoncello- a liqueur made with lemons and sugar. The sea food is fresh, the gelato is sublime and the scenery...breathtaking.
We spent a day at the beach, alternating from the safe shade of our sun chair, to the salty warm sea water; enjoying the view of the cliffs and lemon trees.


During our 5 days on the coast, we met a local Italian cab driver, he is 70 yrs old and his name is Alfonso. He rescued us when we got off the bus in Maiori, a literal 2 minute drive around the cliff from Minori, our destination. Alfonso became our friend and tour guide, taking is to Pompeii to see the ruins, and showing us local lemon trees, chestnut trees, vineyards and Mount Vesuvius along the way.



We spent one day on the Isle of Capri, the most beautiful little island, famous for upscale shopping (there was a Prada store that took me hostage here). I had the best gnocchi I've ever eaten in Capri (don't tell my Nonna!-Italian grandmother for those of you not familiar with the term). Capri is famous for sandals; both my sister and I had a pair made for us. They take the measurement of your foot, you pick the leather and design you want, come back in 30 minutes, and you have yourself a pair of sandals.



Enjoy this little piece of Italy, may it bring you warmth.

Ciao,

S.

4 comments:

O how we can use some warmth ;)
TFS your trip! Italy is beautiful - one of my dream vacays! So sweet to have had your very own tour guide! I could probably live there forever ;)

LOL. Let me know if you want to live there after you visit- it's a very different pace and different life, depending on the territory. My mother's family is from the North of Italy, very different from the South. We could hardly understand the Italian that's spoken south of Rome. I could vacation there for months, but living there, I'm not so sure- I'm not as laid back as they are.

LOL. Let me know if you want to live there after you visit- it's a very different pace and different life, depending on the territory. My mother's family is from the North of Italy, very different from the South. We could hardly understand the Italian that's spoken south of Rome. I could vacation there for months, but living there, I'm not so sure- I'm not as laid back as they are.

O how we can use some warmth ;)
TFS your trip! Italy is beautiful - one of my dream vacays! So sweet to have had your very own tour guide! I could probably live there forever ;)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog