Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden Globes and Movie Review- Gran Torino

Last night I watched the Golden Globes. Everyone was beautifully dressed- very classic evening gowns for the women, and suits and tuxes for the men. I did however, have to giggle every time the winner had to weave their way through all the tables and chairs to make it up to the stage...they seem to do this every year. Haven't they figured out a better way to organize the tables?

I was happy with the winning films and tv shows. Tthe main thing I look forward to with the award shows is to hear about the smaller movies that not have had a huge advertising budget, or the foreign films that weren't released here at all. I'm eagerly awaiting Slumdog Millionaire's release on DVD since it wasn't shown in theatre's here. I read about it in MacLean's magazine a few months ago, but still haven't seen it. I saw previews for Revolutionary Road over the holidays, and that's on my list again, especially after Kate Winslet won best lead actress.

It was a sombre moment when it was announced Heath Ledger had won for his supporting role in the Dark Knight. A well-deserved, but awkward standing ovation followed. The director of the Dark Knight accepted the award on Heath's behalf, and pointed out that we should focus on Heath's contribution to film, rather than dwell on the gap he has left. Will this win mean he will win the Oscar? or mean that he'll be skipped? I saw the Dark Knight, and really liked it, although admittedly, I was curled up in a ball in my theatre seat watching, slightly terrified. It was eerie to watch Heath knowing that this role may have had a large factor in his untimely death.

OK, moving on.

Here's my movie review for Gran Torino, starring, directed and I believe produced by Clint Eastwood.

I have to admit I don't believe I have ever seen an Eastwood movie prior to Gran Torino. Not because I don't like him, I just don't think I've ever seen one. I know I haven't seen Dirty Harry, something I plan on changing. I say this because Clint Eastwod in Gran Torino is what I picture when I think of Dirty Harry. Eastwood plays a gun-wielding, mean, bitter old man, who is unhappy his neighborhood has become a slum with a large gang presence. You will laugh unexpectedly, I guarantee it. There's an edge to this film I haven't seen before. It's fantastic.
See it.

Ciao for now,
S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog